Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

Have a 20gal. Diaphragm pressure tank with a 30/50 pressure

Customer Question

Hi, have a 20gal. Diaphragm pressure tank with a 30/50 pressure switch. My pressure on the gauge reads 20psi and the switch kicks on after 20-30 sec. And then cuts off at 48 psi then drops back to 20. How do I get the pressure to stay around 30? I have a new pressure washer and don't want to fowl it by low pressure. Also the water pressure upstairs seems low and takes time to build pressure
JA: Sometimes plumbing issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Plumber I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Well no I was concerned that I may have a pressure Leake and that's why it drops to 20 psi before it kicks on. Isn't it supposed to cut in at 30 psi?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Plumber about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

You can try adjusting the switch using the adjustment nuts on the spring shafts but you may wind up needing a new switch. To raise the cut in pressure first you have to increase the overall range by tightening the big nut. ~3 1/2 turns will take you up to 60 psi cut out and if the range stays the same it will increase your cut in to 30. Then back off the smaller nut 2 to 3 turns if you want to maintain the 30/50 range. Backing off the smaller nut lowers the cut out pressure. Tightening the big nut raises both cut in & cut out. Be sure to check the switch response after every adjustment.

Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Do you have any more questions?