WCohn
WCohn, Journeyman Plumber
Experience:  Journeyman Plumber/Estimator
6211579

I just changed the cartridge on a seawall deck mount bath

Customer Question

I just changed the cartridge on a seawall deck mount bath faucet wit a K73620, it is still doing the same thing, water comes up through the handle k52714, on the parts break down I have it shows a k52655 sleeve that was not in there when I took off the k52714, but looking at the parts breakdown I dont see how it would fit if I had that part because the stem of the cartridge fits into the k52714 and if I had the sleeve on it it wouldnt fit into the k52714 handle? I am at a loss of what could be wrong here. I have been in plumbing for 30 years and just dont understand why the water keeps coming into the diverter and up through the k52714. Note I also so changed the cartridges in the two handles in case they were bad.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  WCohn replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

Expert:  WCohn replied 5 months ago.

How long had the original ones leaked? Was this a new install that leaked from day one?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
are you still working on this?
Expert:  WCohn replied 5 months ago.

Yes, I asked some questions and have yet to get a response from you

Expert:  WCohn replied 5 months ago.

Has this always leaked? Is it a recent install that has always leaked or was it good for some time?

Expert:  WCohn replied 5 months ago.

The k-52655 is a 0.5 GPM aerator. That doesn't seem right.

Expert:  WCohn replied 5 months ago.

It also seems to me that even with a bad diverter it shouldn't make it leak out of the handle. Is it leaking out of both handles?

Expert:  WCohn replied 5 months ago.

Or is it leaking out of the diverter handle? I need more information in order to help you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
maybe I typed the model wrong its a k52665 sleeve that I do not have, its leaking out of the diverter handle. on the parts breakdown it shows a 52665 sleeve that goes on before the k52714 div handle, with the handle off the water is wide up and water comes out of the handle when on, even when I shut off both faucets the water slowly trickles out of the handle, looking closer I do have the k52665 its not a real good pickure of it on the breakdown sheet. the k52714 handle goes on over the sleeve, water comes out over the top of the sleeve, when the faucets are on it comes fast, when the faucet is shut off it continues to come out but very slowly.
Expert:  WCohn replied 5 months ago.

The only thing it can be is a cut or nick in this part of the diverter. I've never had an issue like you are having, however I called two co-workers who have and they replaced the cartridge and the issue was gone. Not sure why your new one is just as bad. Feel the inside for debris or a ding in the valve body?

Expert:  WCohn replied 5 months ago.

Still wanting to know has it leaked from day one? If so I'll bet it a bad valve body.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
did not leak at all when we built in 1997, started leaking some after about 10 years, but wasn't alot like it is now. So should there be no water in the sleeve above the cartridge?
Expert:  WCohn replied 5 months ago.

This is where I believe it is compromised.

Expert:  WCohn replied 5 months ago.

Are you still needing assistance?

Expert:  WCohn replied 5 months ago.

I'd appreciate a positive rating in return for my time helping you

Expert:  WCohn replied 5 months ago.

If we are done here, should I close the question?