Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Experience:  20 years of plumbing experience, including high end homes and service work.

Kohler Pinstripe single valve shower faucet trim. bonnet has

Customer Question

Kohler Pinstripe single valve shower faucet trim. bonnet has no set screw as installation guide shows. how do I remove?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mike R. replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. There are many that do not have a set screw. It may be that you hold the handle with one hand then turn the bonnet with the other. The bonnet of the handle screws onto a plastic threaded piece. Is any of it loose or is the plan just to adjust the water temperature? When you turn it on does it start cold and the further you turn the handle the hotter it gets?

Expert:  Mike R. replied 4 months ago.

I just wanted to mention how I thought it removes while I look up the specs for the model type and also to find out about the other info.....looking it up now.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 4 months ago.

The manual surely does say that there is a screw that holds the handle on but often the directions are generic for model types. Do you see any screws in the cover plate or are there no screws showing at all? Is there a cap on the end of the handle covering the screw? If you would like we could surely discuss over the phone if you like.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There is a cap covering a screw which secures the lever so I can remove that but nothe bonnet. Temperature does get hot even fully open
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There are no screws showing at all. The escutcheon is secured by a screw in collar
Expert:  Mike R. replied 4 months ago.

So removing the screw only allows to remove the handle but the bonnet does not come off? How about replacing the handle then hold the handle in place while turning the bonnet counter clockwise? It would be many turns to remove it and the cover plate will be held in place by the handle bonnet. Also, does the water start off cold then get warmer as you turn the handle or start off warm then colder as you turn the handle?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've tried to turn while holding handlet but doesnthe seem to work. Starts cold and gets lukewarm but not hot fully open
Expert:  Mike R. replied 4 months ago.

What happens when turning the bonnet? Does it turn easily?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, it turns with the hanlexception but cannot turn while holding handle. When try to force, I can hold handle and entireally assembly moves past close to open valvery going cc
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Bonnet turns wit handle
Expert:  Mike R. replied 4 months ago.

when you turn it on regularly, does the bonnet turn with the handle too?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 4 months ago.

Would you be able to post a picture or two?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry, I have to run out to pick up my son. I'll gave to text you back. Here's pic
Expert:  Mike R. replied 4 months ago.

There should be a very small set screw in the bottom of the bonnet. It would be covered by a little button. Do you see that? Check when convenient. There is no time limit on my end. The bonnet is in two pieces. The first part of the bonnet has the set screw. Once you remove that then the bonnet will wiggle off.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 4 months ago.

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Nothe really. I gave up and am going to call a plumber when I get back in town (I'm in Japan for 10 days so sorry for slow reply). Thanks anyway for your help
Expert:  Mike R. replied 3 months ago.

You are very welcome

Expert:  Mike R. replied 2 months ago.

Did you end up getting the plumber? I consulted with my Grohe representative on Friday.