Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Experience:  20 years of plumbing experience, including high end homes and service work.

I bought a new house which has a septic tank. How often does

Customer Question

I bought a new house which has a septic tank. How often does a septic tank need servicing
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mike R. replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Is there a pump or is it aerobic or just basic gravity with leech field? How old is the house?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I dont see a pump its basic gravity i think but would like to know how to confirm. The house was built in 1978
Expert:  Mike R. replied 4 months ago.

If it were pumped then the septic field would be higher than where the sewer exits the house. It would also have a pump station with an electrical box and alarm box. If the pump is not working then the alarm goes off. If it were aerobic then you would have an air compressor running and adding air to the system. Neither of those?

Expert:  Mike R. replied 4 months ago.

Since it is an older system the leech field will not perk as well as a newer system and assuming it is gravity fed system the drain pipe itself will likely need to be replaced at some point. The drain pipe could easily be fine for another 20 years or so depending on the material that it is made of. Plastic would be the best and last longest and it is very likely to be plastic ABS pipe considering the age. Mostly the only service you will want to prepare for would be to have the tank pumped yearly. Be sure to put nothing damaging in the drain like feminine products, paper towels, tissues, grease or food. Basically just waste and proper toilet paper.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 4 months ago.

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful?