Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

I have a Kohler cold water bathroom faucet that has gone

Customer Question

I have a Kohler cold water bathroom faucet that has gone from normal to hard to turn to virtually frozen. Removed the top section and handle works on hot water side so problem is in cartridge that come up from under the sink. Suggestions?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

It probably the stem/cartridge which you access from the top of the sink. The stem is what the handle is connected to. You'll need the model to get the right part. If you don't know the model can you post a picture here. I might be able to identify it. You can post a pic here by clicking on ADD FILES next to the SEND button.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The Kohler part number is ***** picture included
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.

Looks like you removed the entire valve unit. You only need to replace the stem. You back off the hex just below the knurl where the handle attaches. Cold stem part number GP77006 hot side is GP77005.

Here is a link to the parts blow up
http://www.us.kohler.com/us/catalog/svg_viewer.jsp?productId=421471&diagram=2

Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.

Do you have any more questions?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If the part you are talking about is what we are pointing to in the picture, that is what seems to be frozen.
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.

That's correct. The fix is to replace it. In order to do that you have to remove it from the valve body. It's not all one piece (what you show in your first pic). If you look at the parts link I gave you you'll see how it goes together.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The parts link is just for the handle, spout and drain. The GP7706 is not included.
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.

If you look further down the same page you'll see the parts I'm talking about. Here's the link again

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
parts page had to be manually scrolled :(
We are talking about the same part but we can't seem to break the stem from the sleeve.
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.

If you can't back it off with one wrench on the flats at the bottom of the valve body and the other on the stem hex then you can try soaking it in CLR or Limeaway. That might even free up the stem to turn (but I'd replace it anyway). If you still can't get it apart then you'll have to replace the entire assembly.