Tyler Redinger
Tyler Redinger,
Experience:  Plumber at Trademark Plumbing
92057757

A Kohler low flush toilet was leaking around the fill valve,

Customer Question

A Kohler low flush toilet was leaking around the fill valve, and the tank was not filling as a result. If I moved the float up, the leak stopped; however, no water was then flowing. The leak was coming from the cap to the water adjustment screw and down. I was often able to turn off the water completely for several minutes and turn it on, and the tank would fill.The toilet is at work, and since a "private" toilet, building maintenance will not work on it. When I came into work this morning, somebody had removed the cap and float, leaving only the body (base), with a big "Not Wor*****, ***** Not Use!!!" paper attached.I tried turning the water on, and after a few seconds, water started to spill out of the back of the toilet. That I do not understand since the plastic lock nut and the other lower piece of plastic (part of hose?) are still attached and seem secure.I watched this video on YouTube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB0VHdhUR1s and wondering which to do, removing the whole base or not when get new fill valve, and why is the toilet leaking now with the lock nut in place when water turned on?I have attached photos of tank and hose connected to toilet.Fast review and rating. Thanks!
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Tyler Redinger replied 6 months ago.
If I was you I would get a new flush valve. Cheap and simple to replace. Grab new braided toilet supply also. Your old one could have worn seal. Or old flush valve could be cracked. Mabey that's your leak. Need anymore help let me know.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Here are the two items I purchased:Fluidmaster 400CR Toilet Fill Valve: http://www.amazon.com/Fluidmaster-400CR-Toilet-Flapper-Repair/dp/B007TUHQWY?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00and LASCO 10-0713 Braided Stainless Steel Toilet Supply Line with 7/16-Inch Compression and Ballcockhttp://www.amazon.com/LASCO-10-0713-Stainless-Compression-Ballcock/dp/B00ITPEP2C?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00the latter just in case crack on the end of the line?Any further advice on do's or don't s in installation? Thanks!
Looks like your ordering correct parts. Tighten all joints good with pliers. Except hand tight were toilet water supply connects to toilet. Let me know how goes!