Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Experience:  20 years of plumbing experience, including high end homes and service work.

The water meter is sinking below the soil around it. When it

Customer Question

The water meter is sinking below the soil around it. When it rains mud covers it and they estimated once $800.00 more than usual this month $60. Who is responsible for maintaining the meter
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mike R. replied 5 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. What was the $800 for? To fix the leak or was that your water bill?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
They said we had a leak. I had a reputable plumber to come and check and he said no and that the mud over the meter was probably. I called told LGW that the meter had been sinking for seven years and refused to fix it and told me to keep it cleaned off. We have tried to do that but it has been raining here about every other day.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are plumbers allowed to work on things that belong to the city
Expert:  Mike R. replied 5 months ago.
The city is responsible to maintain the meter and the meter box. Everything after the meter is your responsibility. The plumber could certainly remove the box and add some bricks under it and gravel to keep it from sinking again which is how it should be set to start with. A plumber is certainly allowed to work on the meter and box but if you hire someone to do that then you will be paying the bill. If you are handy and able it really is not anything more than labor. You would dig around the box then remove the box and dig a big hole around the meter and piping and fill the area in with some gravel and bricks so that the meter is level and about an inch or so above ground then fill the dirt back in.