Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

Trying to relight a rheem water heater JA: Sometimes plumbing

Customer Question

Trying to relight a rheem water heater
JA: Sometimes plumbing issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Plumber I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Not sure what happened to make it go out to begin with. About 3 yrs old.
JA: Is there anything else the Plumber should be aware of?
Customer: Just noticed we didn't have hot water
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Plumber about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of you situation.What is the model number of your unit?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Model # *****
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
There is an additional charge for a phone call. If you want to talk I'll post an additional service offer. Or we can continue here.
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
Give me a few minutes to look up the specs for your unit
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No phone call, I will waiton you thank you!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My husband has held pilot button down and pressed ignite button and it has not come on
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
Ok, there should be lighting instructions on the front of the tank. To light the pilot you need to turn the dial to PILOT then press and hold the button right next to the dial down while you repeatedly press the igniter button on the side of the gas control valve. You have to hold that button down and look inside the burner compartment to see if the pilot is lit. You have to remove the outer cover first. Once the pilot is lit you have to hold the button down for at least a minute until the flame sensor heats up. Then you can release the button. If the pilot stays lit you turn the dial to ON
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
You have to press the igniter button a bunch of times not just once.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He has already done all the above
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
You have to keep pushing it until the pilot lights. It helps is someone else can watch to see if/when the pilot lights
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Everything you just typed is exactly what it says on our instructions. There is a lose wire. Have no idea where it came from.
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
A loose wire can keep the pilot from lighting. I need a picture of the wire and the surrounding area. You can post a picture here by clicking on ADD FILES next to the SEND button
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The lose wire went to the igniter and my husband already put it where it needs to go
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
Can you see an arc (blue spark) inside the burner chamber when the button is pushed?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No none!
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
Then you may need to replace the igniter. I know it says not to but you can light this with a match if you really need hot water now.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This model has a glass window. Do we need to take the metal plate off?? It doesn't have a place to sick a match to
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
You have to remove the inner access panel. Actually more like wiggle it back enough to get a grill lighter or a long match in there after you remove the screws. Removing it entirely is a bit of a project and you won't be able to light the pilot. I'm assuming you have the panel that's 1 piece.
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
Once it's lit you have to put the panel back. Try not to destroy the gasket that's behind the panel.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
There is a picture there is no way to light it
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
Like I just said you have to remove the panel in the picture or remove the screws and at least wiggle it back far enough to get a match in there. Or you can wait and replace the igniter or have a plumber do it.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I hope this is a one time fee. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
You're welcome. I don't get paid until you rate me favorably. If you have any billing questions please contact customer service athttp://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us