WCohn
WCohn, Journeyman Plumber
Experience:  Journeyman Plumber/Estimator
6211579

I recently had a Navien CH240 combi boiler installed and

Customer Question

I recently had a Navien CH240 combi boiler installed and have had a number/variety of "cold water sandwich" callbacks with the installer. He has conducted a number of troubleshooting sessions with Navien and the problems continue. More specifically (1) we have to run the faucets and showers for up to a minute or more at times before hot water flows. In the shower, one it gets going it stays hot most of the time even though there used to be momentary "cold water sandwiches"; (2) with the kitchen faucet (MOEN single handle, about 20-25 linear feet away from the boiler)) this issue is most pronounced; it seems to take forever (up to 2+ minutes at times to get hot water). then once you adjust the volume down it eventually runs cold, and may come back and cycle cold/hot/warm. It's been very frustrating. The installer has already replaced a valve in the unit and done other pressure adjustments but to no avail. Still there have been a very few times when the wait times for hot water have been fairly reasonable (10-20 seconds). I have told the installer and Navien that I want the unit replaced. They both seem to be stalling by having me do other little things like adjusting the flow rates to the faucets through the shut off valves. I would appreciate another professional opinion with respect to these issues> Thanks.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  WCohn replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.Do you have a recirculating line?
Expert:  WCohn replied 1 year ago.
I am a Naivien factory green installer and repair technician. I can definitely help you with your problem however I need more information
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Wade. I think I do but I'm not sure if I do have a recirc. line...How could I tell? Thanks.
Expert:  WCohn replied 1 year ago.
OK, can you take several photos of the piping going to the unit some from a distance and post them here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately I am not at the location right now but I do have memory of the pipe layouts so I can probably tell you if you can suggest what I should be looking for
Expert:  WCohn replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, in order to give you proper service I would need to be able to speak with you while you were in front of the unit. At that point we can try to initiate a phone call and I can walk you through to figure out what your issue is.I am on the West Coast it is noon now and I'll be ready around 430, does that work for you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can expect to be talking with you at about 7:30 east coast time...860.243..0349
Expert:  WCohn replied 1 year ago.
but I'll be insisted through JustAnswer not a direct call.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
of course
Expert:  WCohn replied 1 year ago.
I'm ready with my CH240 service manual in front of me!
Expert:  WCohn replied 1 year ago.
Are you available now??
Expert:  WCohn replied 1 year ago.
Let me know when you are wanting to continue.
Expert:  WCohn replied 1 year ago.
Are you still wanting help? Or should I close the question?
Expert:  WCohn replied 1 year ago.
If you have resolved your issue let me know and I'll close the question