Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Experience:  20 years of plumbing experience, including high end homes and service work.
64367226

With my new kitchen sink, the pipe exiting my garbage

Customer Question

With my new kitchen sink, the pipe exiting my garbage disposal is about 2 inches lower than the drain pipe it needs to connect to. Is this going to work? If not, what can I do about it?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mike R. replied 6 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. If you cut some of the pipe off of the garbage disposal pipe will that raise it enough to connect to the drain? Is the drain pipe you are connecting to coming out of the wall or the floor?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Out of the wall. No, the exit tube on the disposer is at least 2 inches lower than the sewer pipe even before the exit tube elbows downward.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 6 months ago.
That is quite unfortunate. The answer is not an easy one. Will you post a picture of the piping just to be sure? Do you have a crawl space, basement or slab?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Basement.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Phone is refusing to add a pix
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm waiting...
Expert:  Mike R. replied 6 months ago.
Sorry for the delay.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 6 months ago.
Are there two sinks or one? If two is the other sink pipe just as high? Is the basement finished?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm not planning g to call... please respond.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
There is one sink, all the same height. The basement is unfinished in this area.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm wating...
Expert:  Mike R. replied 6 months ago.
I have responded a couple of times now. Do you not see my responses? I just had a couple more questions before I can get you a detailed answer.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 6 months ago.
You will either have to lower the pipe in the wall (which can be challenging if it arms through the wall and does not go straight down) or cap that pipe off and add a new drain going through the floor or remove the disposal and just have a regular sink. If the pipe ends up being in the floor it would have to be a tee fitting going to the disposal and on top would have to be a studor vent. You cannot extend the trap the way that it is or it will always be full of water up as high as the drain going out of the wall.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
So far, I see my situation is quite unfortunate. I have responded to your questions about # ***** height of sinks, the existence of a basemenr, whether it is finished and that the sewer pipe comes out of the wall. I am eager to hear a solution?
Expert:  Mike R. replied 6 months ago.
I am not sure why you are not seeing my responses. Will you confirm that you have gotten my responses and answer?
Expert:  Mike R. replied 6 months ago.
I have been responding but for some reason you cannot see what I am typing? Will you review the chat to confirm that you have read the information provided?
Expert:  Mike R. replied 6 months ago.
Are you able to read this?
Expert:  Mike R. replied 6 months ago.
Are you still there?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have now, finally been able to see your response. The sewer pipe does not "arm around;" it goes straight down. I could imagine cutting away the plaster, cutting the pipe at a point lower down the wall, sweating on an elbow and coming out for m there. Would that work? What's a "student vent?"
Expert:  Mike R. replied 6 months ago.
The studor vent is an air admittance valve. Everything must have a vent and the pipe in the wall should be vented out of the roof. When this cannot be done then a studor vent is used. It lets air in without letting the sewer smell out. Yes, the pipe in the wall will have to be lowered or a new tee fitting installed lower and capping off the old one.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK, but what about the solution I proposed?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Enough about venting already. What about the solution I suggested?
Expert:  Mike R. replied 6 months ago.
I am so sorry for the delay. When you could not see my responses earlier I panicked and reported it to the customer service. They locked the question and I could not respond until now.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 6 months ago.
It would have to be a tee fitting. The 90 degree that is existing should be a tee fitting and out of the top of it is a pipe that goes out of the roof.....or at least that is what is supposed to be there. You would add a tee fitting below the existing one so that the vent is still connected. We are kind of suggesting the same thing but the vent is very important.