Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

Last night my 20-year old, natural gas, 50 gallon Maytag (State)

Customer Question

Last night my 20-year old, natural gas, 50 gallon Maytag (State) water heater started to leak and extinguished the pilot flame. Now I’m looking for a replacement and would appreciate your knowledge. It’s a duplex with 3 stories. Two person family on bottom floor and 4 person family on second & third floor. I recognize that I need a bigger until and have the room for one of the larger newer models, but not looking forward to the new electronics because I know what that means.Im looking at 74 & 99 gallon models. With all of the company mergers, I have no idea which one is the best brand. I will install myself. Any suggestions?
JA: Sometimes plumbing issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Plumber I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Plumber should be aware of?
Customer: no,
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Plumber about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.AO Smith or Bradford White are your best options. If you can vent this into a chimney you're much better off since a power vented unit is much more expensive. Unfortunately the industry has taken a pretty simple, reliable product and turned it into an expensive much more complex product, in part due to politics. You can use a smaller tank, turn the thermostat temp up high and use a tempering valve on the hot water outlet to mix some cold water with the too hot water coming out of the tank so your tenants don't get scalded. This does 2 things, it will give you more hot water with a smaller tank (~75 gallon minimum with your demand) and it will kill Legionella bacteria (the cause of Legionaire's disease) in the tank. The latter is the rationale for some States requiring this config. The downside is that it can shorten the life of the tank because the burner will come on more often which stresses the tank every time it does. But a bigger tank is no guarantee that the tank you get will last longer.