Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

Installing a Kohler Highline Classic. It does not sit evenly

Customer Question

Installing a Kohler Highline Classic. It does not sit evenly in the floor. There are two support just in front of the outlet that are not flush with the rim of the base. The result is the toilet rocks forward. I have not bolted the toilet down. If bolted tight I fear something will break since the bolts are so sloes to the pivot poimpnt.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.The toilet doesn't sit evenly because the floor isn't flat. This is a fairly common problem. So common in fact that plastic shims are made specifically for this purpose. You need to shim the toilet so it doesn't rock then tighten it down. If the gap at the floor is unsightly you can fill the gap with caulking but leave a couple small gaps in the caulking in case the seal leaks. These gaps in the caulking will allow water from a seal leak to seep out so you're aware of the problem before it leaks through the floor.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The floor is flat. When I run a straight edge across the base it is obvious there are two tabs that are not even with the base.
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.
I don't understand "it is obvious there are two tabs that are not even with the base"? What tabs?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Inside the perimeter do the base, there are two addition feet (tabs) that look like they are intended to support center if the toilet.
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.
While it's extremely unusual if you put a straight edge across the bottom of the bowl and anything sticks above that straight edge (except maybe the horn (drain outlet) then the bowl is defective and should be replaced.
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.
Since this is apparently a new toilet bring it back for a replacement. But I'd check the bowl before you leave the store. This could be a production run flaw and it may show up in more than 1 bowl.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok I have attached a photo, I tried grinding flush but the porcelain doesn't grind well with the abrasives I have.
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.
I wouldn't attempt to modify the bowl. It will void the warranty. This is obviously a manufacturing defect and the bowl should be returned for a replacement.