Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

Trying to do some maintenance on my rain bird irrigation system,

Customer Question

Trying to do some maintenance on my rain bird irrigation system, shut off main water to house yet sprinklers still come on, is there another shut off I am missing?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.If you shut off the water main to the house and nothing comes out of the faucets when you turn them on then you must have a separate branch for your irrigation system. This is pretty common in cities and towns that have a sewer tax. Since these towns bill once for water and once for sewer based on the water meter reading a separate branch and deduct meter is installed so the customer doesn't have to pay a sewer charge for water that never goes down the sewer.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I turned off the main and ran the exterior hose bibb for about 15 minutes and water still kept coming out
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.
Are you on town/city water?
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.
Is there any water coming out of the faucets in the house?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes to both, not sure how long it would take running the faucets inside to bleed the water out of the lines but I ran them for a good 10 minutes with no reduction in water flow.
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.
Ok, if you closed the main shut off and the water pressure doesn't dissipate in a minute or so when you open a faucet then the shut off valve is broken.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Could there be more than one shutoiff valve?
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.
That's the other possibility. I was assuming you knew which valve was the main shut off. Is your water meter in the house? if not have you identified where the water main enters the house?
Expert:  Eddie replied 7 months ago.
Hi .......I would like to do a hard re set and then try to re cycle ............it might be because of your programming that it is doing this ...............does the HomeLink work as of now ? eddie
Expert:  Eddie replied 7 months ago.
sorry .............sent wrong
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have found the meter and the shut off valve is directly before it, that is the one that I turned off
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.
Sorry for the delay we had a technical glitch. That is the main shut off. It sounds like it's broken. You'll need to have the water department turn off the water at their curb cock so the main valve can be replaced.
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.
Do you have any more questions?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No, I appreciate your time, however since my problem still exists, I will not be relinquishing payment. I hope you understand.
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.
Not really but that's your call. I spent my time on a Sunday to diagnose your problem. I can't fix it for you and I can't help it if you can't fix it yourself (today).