WCohn
WCohn, Journeyman Plumber
Experience:  Journeyman Plumber/Estimator
6211579

We've re moved the cap of the balancing spool but we want to

Customer Question

we've re moved the cap of the balancing spool but we want to remove the balancing spool. Can u please advice? we get only hot water and already replaced valve cartridge
JA: Sometimes plumbing issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Plumber I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: How long do I have to wait for an answer?
JA: Our average wait time is under 20 minutes. Sometimes it takes just a minute. More complicated questions that need more research might take an hour or two. I'd be happy to chat with you while you wait. The stories I've heard working here...
Customer: We have removed the brass cap but are now having difficulty to remove the balancing spool
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Plumber should know?
Customer: The spool does not slide out
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Plumber about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  WCohn replied 7 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you
Expert:  WCohn replied 7 months ago.
Can you supply me with the brand of your shower valve
Expert:  WCohn replied 7 months ago.
A picture of the valve without the trim would be great too
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's a moen and I hv to tk picture. Is this addiyional chg for a phone chat in addiyiom to the $27?
Expert:  WCohn replied 7 months ago.
Phone chat is additional, but most likely much faster
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Wade if u could give me an answer to my question that would b great!
Expert:  WCohn replied 7 months ago.
That's my goal a picture would be very helpful. Im going to upload a picture and you tell me if that matches your moen, Okay?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
P art # *****
Expert:  WCohn replied 7 months ago.
Is this it?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes isn't that part# *****?
Expert:  WCohn replied 7 months ago.
This is your balancing spool and it is part number 1423. Did the brass cap come off the spool and the spool is still stuck in the valve body?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes
Expert:  WCohn replied 7 months ago.
Okay it is probably stuck with mineral deposits. Do you have shut off valves on your shower valve? They are on some of these Moentrol valves. They would be slotted and to where you can turn them with a flathead screwdriver.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Done that
Expert:  WCohn replied 7 months ago.
Okay with the water on to the house, but the screwdriver stops off and the cartridge off turn on the screwdriver stops and see if you can use the water pressure to help blow the balancing spool out. (you may get wet)
Expert:  WCohn replied 7 months ago.
start pulling with needle nose pliers
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Tried needlenose without succes
Expert:  WCohn replied 7 months ago.
With the water on to assist? If so the next step would be to turn the water off and remove the cartridge then apply heat with a small soldering torch
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This is not going to work. We dont hv a soldering torch. Perhaps is best if we contract someone to com. Thanks anyway.
Expert:  WCohn replied 7 months ago.
Yes, perhaps this is something that you are not able to do without the proper tools. It is rare for them to me the stuck, but through the years I've had my fair share that were very stubborn. Please rate me accordingly, I did do everything I could except for being there to do it for you. Best of luck
Expert:  WCohn replied 7 months ago.
If you need any other help let me know