Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor

Our sewer is draining slow. the problem seems to be between

Customer Question

Our sewer is draining slow. the problem seems to be between the laundry drain to the main sewer. is getting worse everyday. It wasn't affecting anything draining from upstairs until last night when I drained the came up through the laundry drain.
JA: Sometimes plumbing issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Plumber I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Plumber should be aware of?
Customer: The toilet downstairs isn't flushing. I have big roots.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Plumber about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.It sounds like you'll need to call a sewer/drain cleaning service since you seem to have an issue with roots in the main. Cutting out roots in the drain is not a DIY project.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That's it? That's what I get for $43.00. Like there are no other possibilities?
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
Based on your description the main needs to be snaked. You could rent a sewer machine (see attached pic) and attempt to snake the main yourself but since you think roots are an issue you're unlikely to be able to clear the line yourself. It's difficult enough to run a sewer machine when you've never done it before but cutting out roots with a sewer machine is not likely to be something you could manage. You could rent a machine and try but in my professional opinion you'll be wasting your time and money on the rental.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
what about a venting issue?
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
You're description indicates a main line stoppage. Water doesn't back up into another fixture with a venting issue.