WCohn
WCohn, Journeyman Plumber
Experience:  Journeyman Plumber/Estimator
6211579

Rtg 64 dvn. I changed pcb and used my old chip! I don't understand

Customer Question

Rtg 64 dvn. I changed pcb and used my old chip! I don't understand when you say " change dip switch 1 and dip switch 2 on " ! My dip switch 1 has 4 switches as does my dip switch 2 has 4 of its own!! Am I to switch all 4 switches on both 1 and 2 dip?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  WCohn replied 10 months ago.
Hi Jim, my name is ***** ***** I'd love to help you out. It looks as though you have previously posted a question and have responded to another expert. I need to know your original question in order to help you out
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have a rheem rtg 64 dvn tankless and replaced the pcb and need to program that with my old chip!
Expert:  WCohn replied 10 months ago.
So if I understand you correctly you had a PCB go bad and now have replaced it and you are needing to setup the new PCB to match your old one and to communicate with the unit?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Correct! No phone calls. Can't afford additional cost!!
Expert:  WCohn replied 10 months ago.
Ok give me a bit in order to due some research and I'll get back to you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Fine thanks.
Expert:  WCohn replied 10 months ago.
Jim, it looks like all you need to do is hook up all the wiring connection like they were on your old one. Then verify all the dip switch settings are the same as your old PCB. I also highly recommend that you have the High AND Low fire gas manifold pressures checked with a digital manometer and adjusted if necessary. Before doing any of this first verify the PCB is the correct one and for the correct fuel.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The connections are all correct! The dips where all matching! The pcb was purchased at a rheem dealer everything correct!! Just have to learn to have new pcb boot with the old chip " which has been checked at dealer as good " no need to take me to another Ave. Can you give me the answer on how to do this or not? Biggest issue is I have two "2" dips each with 4 switches. That's the question to make new pcb combatable.
Expert:  WCohn replied 10 months ago.
The only programing the new PCB requires is the old fuel type and altitude chip. That is a direct quote from their service manual
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It stated in a rheem troubleshooting that the said 2 dips need to be switched to on and adjust button pushed ect to make compatible. I want clearer instructions how to do that.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Try this... What does code error 82 say to do? That's what's I need.
Expert:  WCohn replied 10 months ago.
Ok, that is different than what I'm getting can you upload a pic of your board and the instructions?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Instructions to what?
Expert:  WCohn replied 10 months ago.
ERROR CODE 82 IS IMPROPER GAS TYPE
Expert:  WCohn replied 10 months ago.
Did your new PCB come with instructions?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Correct and manua says if a new pcb was installed it will need to be made compatible with chip!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No instructions
Expert:  WCohn replied 10 months ago.
ok hold on we WILL get this
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ur a trooper!
Expert:  WCohn replied 10 months ago.
You HAVE to have a program chip that tells it what the gas type is. Carefully compare your new PCB to your old one. Look for a chip on your old one that your new one doesn't have. This is what they do to make them field convertible from natural gas to propane. I'm going to continue to try and find a picture of the chip.
Expert:  WCohn replied 10 months ago.
this shows the part number for the chip. Just so you know I'm not crazy
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The new pcb did not com with a chip. Old chip was tested by disturb. As good so it is being reused with new pcb so I have to set up the pcb and chip.
Expert:  WCohn replied 10 months ago.
Everything I found says that you only have to put old chip on new board in order to program pcb for proper fuel
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ur pix " I have this pix " does not show a chip? It shows the pcb
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Exactly. I put the old chip on the new board and now I want to make them compatible
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
So u r not finding instructions on how to program a chip and pcb?
Expert:  WCohn replied 10 months ago.
Still digging
Expert:  WCohn replied 10 months ago.
Everything I have found has said no programming needed just put the chip on
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Code 82 states that programming on a new pcb must be done with chip by switching dip sithes on and pushing adjust button.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Are you saying the pcb and chip programming is auto without switching up to on the dip buttons and holding the adjust button?
Expert:  WCohn replied 10 months ago.
Thats what Ive found, but if its still giving error code 82 I need to keep looking
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Error 82 it states 😩
Expert:  WCohn replied 10 months ago.
have you tried removing and reinstalling the program chip (with the power off of course)
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have to make of connection.
Expert:  WCohn replied 10 months ago.
I don't understand the last reply
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My research says to turn power on, switch dip #1and2 to on and hold adjust button until light blinks fast. My question is to clarify how many of the four switches on each dip I turn to on?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have re installed chip a few times to make I had good contact
Expert:  WCohn replied 10 months ago.
dip switch 1 and 2 are the two left dip switches on the upper bank of switches
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No actually " did u get my pix " it's on the upper right. Dip 1 has 4 switches and dip 2 has 4 switches then there are three buttons " min, Max and adj
Expert:  WCohn replied 10 months ago.
Let me rephrase. what you are calling dip 1 is the upper bank. These are the switches you will be using, but only the first two. Meaning the far left two switches on the upper set of four
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Dip 1 "set of 4 " is right on top of dip 2 " set of 4 "! So u say to use only dip 1 number 1 and 2 switches which are the far left two switches and leave dip 2 two swithes alone?
Expert:  WCohn replied 10 months ago.
Yes!!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Should I turn gas and water Vavle on or off?
Expert:  WCohn replied 10 months ago.
no need to turn either off
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Going to try now
Expert:  WCohn replied 10 months ago.
Good luck. My fingers are crossed!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No good!!! Damn code still reads 82.
Expert:  WCohn replied 10 months ago.
I've gotta wonder if that chip is really ok. What was your original error code?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm going to call it the night. I'll hit back tommorow, hopefully we r missing somethi g on programming this. Thanks
Expert:  WCohn replied 10 months ago.
Well, tomorrow I'll call Rheem. I already tried,but they were closed. Can I have the serial number?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Original error code before I replaced the pcb? I didn't have a code error l blew a fuse " 3 amp " and replaced by mistake with two new 6 Amps that cooked it
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Did u get pix of serial and model #?
Expert:  WCohn replied 10 months ago.
Whoa, how'd you blow a fuse? And even if you had a 6 amp fuse you shouldn't have had more than 3 amps going through the them.is the serial the number starting with RH?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Rtg-64DVN model
RHLN0211J03339 serial #
Expert:  WCohn replied 10 months ago.
Got it. I will get you an answer!!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks
Expert:  WCohn replied 10 months ago.
I just verified with another plumber. Switches number 1 and 2 on the bank labeled DIP 1 are the right switches. I'd try a couple of more times.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Afternoon, I have tried that over and over to no avail. Won't stop blinking slow and board keeps reading 82! Doesn't make sense
Expert:  WCohn replied 10 months ago.
Was on hold with Rheem for 45 minutes, but I have your answer.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Found out unit does not need chip with altitude under 3280! Took chip out and works fine!! Imagine that?
Expert:  WCohn replied 10 months ago.
Awesome. I didn't know you installed a high altitude chip too. In wiring connector labeled "connector A" should have your gas type chip and that's it. I have the email from Rheem if you like. Glad you got it figured out. I hope I served you well.
Expert:  WCohn replied 10 months ago.
I'm glad everything has worked out for you!
Expert:  WCohn replied 10 months ago.
A positive rating would be a nice Thank You!