Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.

Have a 3/4 hp Flotec well pump. Noticed no water from faucets,

Customer Question

Have a 3/4 hp Flotec well pump. Noticed no water from faucets, went down to the pump and smelled a hot motor, with the pump trying to start by making a humming noise every 20-30 seconds. Water side of pump is nice and cold. No pressure in the system(gauge at "0").
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.If the pump motor is just humming (not running) then you'll probably need a new pump. You might be able to just replace the motor but with the added labor of swapping just the motor out would probably cost more than a new pump.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
But it hums every 20 seconds or so. Like it's trying to start. It will hum for about 3 to 5 seconds and then stop and then it'll hum again from 3 to 5 seconds about 20 seconds later
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
It's probably shutting down because it's over heating then it turns back on when it cools off. This cycle will persist. A motor that just hums when it should be running is one that's seized up and needs to be replaced.
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
Do you have any more questions?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No...I'm just getting a new pump. It's not cooling down and then trying to's piping hot and trying to start, but thanks for getting back to me regardless.
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
It doesn't have to cool down to your touch only enough so the thermal overload will reset. Either way you need a new pump. I'd appreciate a favorable rating