SlTl, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed Contractor and Kitchen and Bath Designer

We just installed a new rheems hot water heater and since Installation

Customer Question

We just installed a new rheems hot water heater and since Installation the safety valve on top starts leaking when the water gets hot. What do we need to do to stop the valve from opening and leaking.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  SlTl replied 6 months ago.
Hi may name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. If I can't help then I'll find an expert who can, but you'll need to let me know if you'd rather try more than what I suggest here. I work at Lowe's and we sell hot water heaters there everyday. It's also been my experience with appliance sold there, that if appliances such as these come out of the box faulty, do not try to fix them because you could spend an enormous amount of hours in energy and money in trying to fix them. What seemed like an easy enough problem in the beginning to fix, turns out to be a nightmare and an appliance that never works quite right. And just as you replaced the safety valve on a brand new unit and it didn't change a thing, yet you spent time and money. You contacted us, spending time and money, the next thing could be the same thing. This is possibly a hint of things to come with that unit. I've seen this over and over with brand new appliances, and although inconvenient for you, you are better off returning the faulty unit for a new one now before any more energy is put into a faulty unit. New appliances are supposed to come out of the box in perfect working condition, and if they don't, return them asap. At Lowe's when a faulty unit is returned, it is marked as defective and sent back to the company for credit, in this case it would be returned to Rheems, who in turn gives a place like Lowe's credit for it. And we get plenty of things returned liked this. I counted 5 lawnmowers that were returned for one problem or another just this weekend I'm sorry you are having to deal with this!! It' such a headache! The hot water heater is used daily and won't be easy to take back, but you won't be sorry. Just drain it, throw it in the back of your truck, and make sure the sales help can see you're not happy about all the trouble and grief this hot water tank has caused, take your receipt. They'll take it back. This is all the further I can help with your question. If, on the other hand, you still want to speak with someone who can tell you how to repair it, please let me know so I can opt-out of this question.Thank you,SusanIf you feel I have addressed your concerns, please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; this is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you very much!Providing a positive rating, will not end our conversation, should you have additional questions surrounding this topic. Simply click on “Reply” to write back and I am happy to continue with no additional charges.
Expert:  SlTl replied 6 months ago.
Hi,Did you have more questions regarding a solution for your faulty hot water heater? I'm happy to assist any way I can.Thank you!Please don't forget to provide a rating for my services. Thank you!