Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.

We had our water main replaced. after turning the water back

Customer Question

we had our water main replaced. after turning the water back on our furnace (gas, water heat) started dripping water out of the press. relief valve and wont stop. I bled the radiators which got a lot of air out but dripping continues.
JA: Sometimes plumbing issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Plumber I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Anything else I can tell the Plumber before I connect you two?
Customer: no. thanks
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Plumber about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.If the pressure rises (above 30 psi)when the burner isn't firing then the feed valve, which regulates the water let into the system, is faulty. If the pressure rises (past 30) when the burner is running then this is an expansion problem and you probably have a failed expansion tank (assuming it's a newer diaphragm type tank). If the relief valve drips when the pressure is below 30 psi the it is defective. I'm assuming it is the pressure relief valve (see attached pic) that's leaking not a float vent.
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
If the pressure is bumping up against 30 now drain some water out and check under what conditions the pressure rises. You'll probably need to replace the relief valve either way.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.