Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

My toilet makes a dripping sound. I have replaced ALL the

Customer Question

My toilet makes a dripping sound. I have replaced ALL the tank workings and the seal under the tank and it still does it. It does not make the sound all the time. For a few days, I tried shutting off the water and emptying the tank and it did not make the sound at all. The toilet also flushes the bowl water twice.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.

What brand toilet is this? Does the fill valve come on by itself periodically?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It is a Water Works brand, probably actually made by someone else :)
No, the fill valve does not come on by itself.
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.

Ok, I'm not familiar with that brand. It's not a common one. If the fill valve doesn't come on by itself then you're not losing water out of the tank when it's standing idle. So I don't know where this noise you're hearing could be coming from except maybe a defect in the toilet. I'm assuming the refill tube attached to the fill valve shuts off once the tank is full. What do you mean by it flushed the bowl twice?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
As you may know, a lot of Water Works items are made by Porcher (I think spelled correctly) if that helps.
When you flush it, the bowl empties, then very quickly fills again, then empties again.
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.

Ok, it's possible you could have a very slow leak out of the tank that doesn't drop the water level enough for the fill valve to turn on before the next flush. Did the chain on the flapper have a little foam float on it?

Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.

Now that you mention it I do remember Porcher making porcelain for Waterworks. But they stopped selling fixtures a while ago. As far as I know they only sell faucets and bath fittings now.

Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.

And American Standard (who bought out Porcher a while back) just killed the brand in favor of their new luxury brand.

The only time a toilet flushes more than once is when too much water leaves the tank during a flush. This can happen when a standard flapper is used in place of one with the small foam float or if the water level in the tank is too high.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I will do some more testing of it and get back with you tomorrow. Sounds like a difficult case.
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.

Could be. Porcher's porcelain was made in South America; it had a fancy name but not great quality.