Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor

My control box on my brand new submersible pump keeps

Customer Question

my control box on my brand new submersible pump keeps tripping the reset button after we run water anywhere. I installed everything myself and it has worked for almost a month but im stuck on what to do. Could it be a pressure tank issue.
JA: Sometimes plumbing issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Plumber I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Plumber should know?
Customer: its a 2HP submersible pump with control box.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Plumber about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Not a pressure tank issue. It's either a wiring issue (a short) or is it possible the pump is too deep in the well and is bottoming out?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I changed nothing when i dropped the pump. Same lenth that was there before. I can't see it being a pump issue. Now as far as the wiring im pretty lost on that. The pump came with 140 ft of cable and the pump is appx 90 ft. down. How does it work for about a month and then wiring go bad
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

I can't say how or why a short would occur in your case but it's the only other thing that would trip the reset.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Makes no sense whatsoever. All wiring is either underground in conduit or is in the housing the pressure tank is in. And it will start up and run but when we run water it trips. Could it be the control box itself? On another not how much is this actually gonna cost me if i don't get this fixed with you.
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

Running the water should not make any difference. The pump functions the same when you run the water as when it's just recovering the pressure. Yes you could have a issue with the control box. I can't guarantee a fix. All I can do is point you to the likely culprits. The fix is up to you. You can request a refund if you like by contacting customer service at

Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

If you have a multi-meter and can provide me with the brand and model number of your unit (and I can find specs for it). We could try some trouble shooting.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
im not sure what the multimeter is. And the control box is plastic. Pretty sure cheap chinese. I will send you a pic of the control box.
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

You can't trouble shoot this without a meter. Given your description of the product I wouldn't be surprised if it's defective. I'm sorry but just a picture won't help

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
here are those
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the box and the cover which has some kinda brand name on it.
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

I'm sorry the info you're giving me isn't enough to trouble shoot this and you can't without a meter anyway.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I need to get one of those. My 2nd year owning a house lol. I actually have no idea what the brand name is ***** ***** DuanLongPeijian ABS. Only marking on box or pump itself
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

I'm sorry the info you're giving me isn't enough to trouble shoot this and you can't without a meter anyway. I don't have access to specs for a Chinese unit.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
you have never dealt with a control box like that?
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

I've never dealt with a Chinese pump. We only install American made pumps.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Well i don't know that it is or it isn't. Did you look at the pics i sent?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Im seeing if i can rundown a multimeter now
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

It looks like there's nothing more I can do for you. I'm going to open this up to my colleagues maybe one of them can help. Please don't respond (even to acknowledge this post)until you get a response from us. If you respond first it will only delay your answer.