Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Experience:  20 years of plumbing experience, including high end homes and service work.
64367226

I own a small commercial property in los angeles. its about

Customer Question

Hi I own a small commercial property in los angeles. its about 3,000 square feet with 3 stores. The water was was overflowing for the second time in a week, so i called a plumber for a hydrojet, the plumber arrived at my store at 8am he used the snake for two hours he couldnt clear the lines and my unit and the the other unit bathrooms were flooded
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Where was the plumber snaking the drain from? The outside clean out access?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
originally he was snaking from the drain for 2 hours and then he told me you need a clean out asap, if i hydrojet all 3 stores will have major water damage
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

So he never used the access outside? Was it because he could not find it?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
there was not a clean out on the propery
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
since i was responsible for my 2 tenants, i was worried he gave me a price of 2,500 for a cleanout and hydrojet was that a fair price
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
he told me you need a clean out for me to clear the lines, and hydrojet
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
because water was overflowing
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
he had to take some plants out and dig a few holes to install the clean out
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i want to know if hes job was done properly and what a fair price is
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

There has to be an access outside. It should already have one. The plumber is going to add a clean out and not locate the existing one? So, this is already done? All is fixed now? It seems a bit expensive. How deep was the pipe that the clean out was added?

Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

Do you have a picture of the clean out that was added?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
its already done, its working and the pipe was 4 inches,
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

It was only 4 inches deep in the ground?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
can i text u the picture
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

Post it right here. Just use the paper clip icon.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it saying the file is to large
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
to send
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

One picture is too large? How deep was the pipe?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
let me ask him
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
4 inches
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

Seems pretty high to add a clean out and clear the drain......about $700-1000 too much.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
he was there from 8am till 5pm
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
how much is it for the clean out and how much for the hydrojet
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

I am not sure what he was doing there that long....I guess trying to snake it out before adding the clean out? Still seems quite high to me. There is not a set price for either but considering that there was very little digging I would say at most $450 for each.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
what can i do i already paid him can i report him
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
for overcharging me
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
this happened on saturday
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

There is not much that can be done besides complain directly to them. The only way that could have been avoided would be to get some other quotes. I guess they charged more for the weekend but surely a pretty hefty charge to add a clean out and clear a drain pipe. Hopefully they will be reasonable.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it was overflowing i didnt have time
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

I know, it really is unfortunate to be taken in a situation like this. They took advantage. Possibly pay to get a quote or two and small claims court some of your money back.....or with a discussion they may make it right without any issue.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
can i take him to small claims court
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
can i report him to the plumbers license
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

Absolutely yes. There is nothing to report as they did not break any rules or laws but they did overcharge. A judge may award some of the money back though. Surely talking to them may get things worked out before having to go to court.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
could you give me a breakdown of what you consider fair pricing for the clean out and hydrojet
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

There is not any way that what I would suggest would be anywhere near accurate. The best estimate will come from an on site estimate. I would estimate that the cleanout would be 2- 4" Fernco couplings $36 1- 4" Wye $18 1- 4" clean out cap $11 labor $350 Then the hydrojet $300 snake drain $300. I am struggling to come close to it costing $2500 but none of the numbers that I put together will be very accurate. You will get the best result for accurate estimates from on site visits.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i put a stop payment on he's check can he put a lien on my property
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

Yes I do believe they can. Best to have a conversation with them about it. Hopefully they will be understanding. Maybe an agreement can be met.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
my mistake the clean out was 4 feet deep
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

Well that is a very large difference. Still seems that the charge was quite extensive but surely this is still should only have taken a few more hours than the original depth I thought it was. It still may be in your best interest to pay for an estimate from another company to compare to.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
my question was not answered, 2 plumbers showed up at 8am because water was overflowing they were draining for 2 hours coundnt clear the lines, because there was roots, and they found baby wipes, then they recommended installing a clean out,
which they went to home depot to buy the parts, they installed the clean out 4 feet deep, hydro jetted for 3 hours, found many roots and removed them and then they resetted 2 toilets and sealed them, and they provided me the video of my sewer line.
they charged me $2500 they were there from 8am till 5pm. is that a fair price?
can you give me an educated estimate for this work?
Expert:  Mike R. replied 9 months ago.

As I suggested before, it is very difficult to be accurate without being onsite. The best estimate will come from an on site estimate. I would estimate that the cleanout would be 2- 4" Fernco couplings $36 1- 4" Wye $18 1- 4" clean out cap $11 labor $350 Then the hydrojet $300 snake drain $300. I am struggling to come close to it costing $2500 but none of the numbers that I put together will be very accurate. You will get the best result for accurate estimates from on site visits. My estimate would be in the $1200 range.