Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

Water heater won't start. I have a power vent and the pilot

Customer Question

Water heater won't start . I have a power vent and the pilot light is on but the burner won't start. Red light flashes non stop
JA: Sometimes plumbing issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Plumber I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Water heater GP40T6PF00 never had any issues
JA: Is there anything else the Plumber should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Plumber about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.

Can you post a picture of the gas control valve here? click on ADD FILES next to the SEND button to post a pic

Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.

One other thing, the GP series is not power vented. Do you have an aftermarket power venter? If so what brand is the power venter?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
this is a power vented unit from GE bought at Home Depot
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.

The specs I see for the GP series show no power vent. I need pictures especially since what you're telling me doesn't align with my research.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I just posted 2 photos
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for the pictures but they don't help. I need a wider shot showing the entire gas control valve and another showing the top of the heater.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok I will do that now. GIve me a minute
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.

Ok

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
here are the photos
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.

How many times does the LED blink before it pauses then repeats?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Everything worked perfectly until yesterday I decided to drain the tank to clean it. I added 1 Gallon of vinegar to clean the bottom of the tank for 1 hour as we are on a well system (I do this every 3 years). After When I finally was done and filled up the tank and had the hot water faucet on for 30 minutes I tried to turn the WH back on. AT what point it turned back on for about 5 minutes, then it stopped.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The LED just keep on flashing continuously. no Error signal
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.

Please answer my last question

Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.

Fast or slow flash? is the fan on the top of the unit running?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
A little fast. The vent works
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.

If the fan is running but nothing else happens then you could have a bad gas valve. You should be getting an error sequence on the LED not a steady flash, no pause. Check all your electrical connections.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
There is not an error sequence, and the electrical connections are fine.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When it blinks like that I think that it is just calling for heat.
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.

Then you have a bad gas control valve. What you did yesterday probably had no impact on this at all except that you turned off the power to the unit.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
THat is probably right.Should I call an expert?
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the most cost effective option will probably be to replace the water heater. It looks like your unit is at least 10 years old which is about as long as they last before the tank could leak at any time. It's probably not worth the expense to replace the gas valve assuming you can even find this obsolete valve.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
We have been using this tank for only 4 years as we also had another one for 50 Gallons.
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.

The gas valve is obsolete. I don't know if it's even still available. If my memory is accurate this model went out of production 10 years ago. I can confirm this if you can give me a serial number. You could call in a pro and have them check this out but I'm not optimistic about finding a replacement valve.

Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.

Sorry for the typo I need the serial number to check the age of the unit

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The unit was bought in 2005. We used it for 3 years and then did not use it until 2013 when the other unit went bad
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.

Ok, that may extend the life of the tank somewhat but finding a gas valve replacement will still be a challenge. You'll have to cal in a pro in any event unless you want to replace the heater yourself.

Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.

.

Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.

Do you have any more questions?