Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Experience:  20 years of plumbing experience, including high end homes and service work.
64367226

The gooseneck to the shower head broke off and left about

Customer Question

The gooseneck to the shower head broke off and left about 3/8" of threads in the ell. I have tried one type of easy out and it did not work. How can I get it out without buggering up the threads and having to tear out the tile to replace it? Thanks
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. You would use this tool to get it out. click here

Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

The end fits into the broken pipe and when you turn it with a wrench the wing part pushes out and grabs it so you can turn it and unscrew the piece.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I tried it. One size is too small and the other is too large
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

This one surely does fit. Do you still have it?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

You see how it has a little wing thing that comes out?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the knurled in wont go into the hole. The 1/2" is too small. Is there another EZOUT
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

Won't go into what hole? The hole in the wall?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The hole in the ell
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can send you a picture
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

Yes please

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How do I send it to you, email or text to cell
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

Use the paper clip icon and post it here.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Photo attached
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

The smaller one does not fit inside?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It goes in but is too small to grab threads
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

There are no threads to grab just the inside of the broken pipe. The little wing sticks out and that is what grabs the sides. Put the smaller one in and put it in far enough that the little wing will be inside the pipe. Then turn counter clockwise and the wing thing will grab and give the tension needed to unscrew the piece.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It is too small and will not bite the inside of the pipe. Ian not a plumber but I have spent 40 years screwing pipe and connections together in the oilfield.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

The larger one will not fit?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No, it is too big. Do they make one in between?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
1/2" and 3/4" and a different EZOUT that is too long.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

No need because the smaller one is the right size. Try the smaller one again and be sure that you are turning the correct direction. You might have to jiggle it a bit or turn it a little bit sideways. The goal is to get the little wing part to come out and make it wider.. It does not have to be straight. It just has to grab.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will try it for the 15th time
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

You know what they say. 16 times the charm! If not then take a small, flat head screwdriver and hammer it in under the edge of the piece and pry it up. Eventually you will be able to pry the piece up enough to grab it with some pliers and pull it out.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
After man futile tries it won't work. Can I skip something in between. It won't take much.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Slip something between pipe and ezout to help it bite
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

I do not think that would work. The teeth are what need to bite. How about trying the flat head screwdriver? Do you have a hack saw?

Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

Since the nipple extractors are not working then take a hack saw blade and cut a slot on the inside. Cut enough to get all the way through but not so much that you cut the threads. Take a small flat head screw driver and pry in the slot you cut then peel it out with pliers.