Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.

We have a Kohler Infinity Whirlpool Tub (Model K-1466) that

Customer Question

We have a Kohler Infinity Whirlpool Tub (Model K-1466) that was installed in 1988.
The vacuum breaker that was installed in an adjacent closest has begun leaking water.
It actually leaks steadily when filling the tub with hot water.... And also leaks a bit when the jets were turned on.
Not sure the reason or how to repair this...........
The vacuum breaker is installed and attached to a drywall wall in the closet so I don't have access to it unless I try to take it down....and the access to the whirlpool motor and tubes are challenging to get to.....
Any ideas or suggestions????
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

Can you post a picture of the vacuum breaker? click on ADD FILES next to the SEND button to post a picture here

Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

The vacuum breaker can be repaired or replaced but I need to see what you have to make a specific recommendation

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Here you go
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Photos sent. Hope it helps
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

This is the closest I could find to what your picture looks like. I'd suggest you go to a local plumbing supply house that sells Kohler with this part number and your pics and see if they can order parts for your unit

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
you believe the vacuum breaker is defective and replacing it will eliminate the leaks??
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Why is there water leaking from this part in the first place?
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

Given the vacuum breaker you have, repairing it (if you can get parts) is the best option. If you can't get parts then a plumber can replace it. There is an internal gasket inside the vac that should seal when water is being run or immediately after. Given the age of this part it's not surprising that this gasket has worn out and is starting to leak. The purpose of the vac is to prevent water from siphoning out of a full tub back into your water piping where it could contaminate the water you drink. The circumstances have to be just right for this back flow to happen but the code requires a vac to prevent it from happening at all.