Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.

I need a schematic an American Standard diverter valve,

Customer Question

I need a schematic for adding an American Standard diverter valve, model # ***** to a standard shower/tub install, tub spout with diverter. Customer states preference for separate control of tub fill. overhead shower, hand shower and overhead shower and hand shower combined. My concern is "shower rise" with solo use of hand shower or overhead shower selection. Will in-line check valves be required/ Thanks in advance for your support.
JA: Sometimes plumbing issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Plumber I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Plumber should be aware of?
Customer: Current install all copper tubing with 3/4" x 68" shower supply to eliminate "shower rise" at shower head.
JA: Our top Plumber is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Plumber in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Plumber until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

You can send water to each of the spout, head & hand shower, one at a time. This valve does't have the capability to to combine 2 functions at once.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello Rick. I was assuming the "tub fill" port on the valve with double the volume of the other two ports would be enough to operate the overhead shower and hand held shower simultaneously. Is there a way to plumb a "T" into the hand held and overhead shower supply without creating a "shower rise" when selected individually.
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

Any tub/shower mixer that functions with a diverter spout is an either or proposition. If you want to use this type of mixer with the AS diverter valve you need to cap off the tub port on the mixer and feed the diverter off the top port. The only way you could run both hand held and the fixed head at the same time is if you took them both off the same diverter outlet and them either use either a hand held head with a built in shut of or you install a shower arm shut off if you also want the either or function.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

Your welcome

Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

I'd appreciate a favorable rating