Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

We have a mueller stop valve main water supply at our

Customer Question

we have a mueller stop valve for our main water supply at our mountain cabin. It is approximately 18 inches below ground with plastic standpipe to allow access with a key. After using it for 3 years this past year water has been filling the standpipe when we close the valve but the water drains from the standpipe when it is open. the mechanism was installed before we purchased the cabin. I do not know how much drain rock is below the valve. Ant suggestions before I start digging?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

It's a pretty common function for a curb cock (the type of valve you seem to be describing) to drain the "house" side of the line when it is shut off. This is a desirable feature which helps prevent water from standing and potentially freezing in the pipe on the side that's shut off. Maybe you just need to improve the drainage under the curb cock so water doesn't rise in the access pipe when you shut it off.