Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

I have a Rinnai R53 tankless water heater, 7 years old.

Customer Question

I have a Rinnai R53 tankless water heater, 7 years old. While taking a shower, it quit. I pulled the cover and found the two 3amp fuses blown. Turned off power, replaced fuses, turned on power and both fuses blew again. Where do I start looking?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  ProGrade replied 9 months ago.

Hi Jack, welcome to justanswer.com

Check the transformer and gas valve for short circuit with a multimeter. The primary & secondary of the transformer should be tested.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Unplugged the secondary from the circuit board, powered up unit (primary still plugged in) plugged in secondary and fuses immediately blew. Blown transformer?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What are the primary and secondary voltages of the power transformer for a Rinnai R 53 tankless water heater
Expert:  ProGrade replied 9 months ago.

Jack, my apologies for the site issue that prevented me from replying to your question.

Expert:  Derek Williams replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is***** to just answer. Let me try to help if i can. I hate to say this, but this is a common problem with toilet cleaner tablets. What you will need to do is get a toilet auger. from home depot or lowe's and auger the obstruction out of the bowl. you want to get the regular and not the drop head version, since the opening in the bowl is narrow. this should get it out for you.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Unfortunately you'll need to replace the PCBoard. It shorted out and there isn't anything other you can do. There is a troubleshooting guide online and that is their direction. Google your model number for the guide.