Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

I have a Bradford gas water heater about 3 years old, model

Customer Question

I have a Bradford White gas water heater about 3 years old,
model number MI75S6BN
We had a power outage for a couple of hours so I shut off the water heater. the power is back on.
Now I can't get the pilot to light, following the instructions on the water heater.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

Are you pressing the igniter repeatedly? It's difficult to see the spark through the viewing port

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I pressed the igniter repeatedly while holding down the pilot button for several minutes.
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

You could have a faulty igniter or possibly a clogged pilot burner orifice. You'll need to remove the burner chamber access panel. Once it's off you can see the spark (if any) better.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am reluctant to start taking things apart. If you think I am following the right steps to light the pilot and it's not working, I should just call the plumber that installed the unit to come out and fix it.
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

If you're following the instructions on the front of the tank (sounds like you are) and you're reluctant to remove the access panel then calling a plumber would be appropriate. BTW you don't have to turn off the water heater when there is a power failure.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What happens if the water drains from the water heater, can the unit be damaged if it is not turned off first?
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

There's no way a power failure would cause the tank to drain out.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thanks
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

You're welcome