Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

I have a rental house... the tenant said the bathtub is not

Customer Question

I have a rental house. . . the tenant said the bathtub is not draining. . . called in a plumber who said - that when the tub was recently replaced that pieces of the wall tile and grout went down the tub drain - now causing the tub not to drain. . . I read to put muriactic acid down the drain if pvc - but I don't care for this idea. . . and really do not want to have a major plumbing bill on my hands to get the drain cleared. . . I have a handy man who knows basic plumbing, etc. . . just trying to decide if he could get the drain unclogged or just let the plumber do the job. . . the tub sits on a concrete slab. . . so also trying to decide whether we need to take the tub up. . . also read where the drain can be vacumned to get water out and then try and loosen the grout/tile and wash it down and out the drain. . . the drain goes to the city drain - not a septic. . . another was to put a cleaner down drain and see if it would help loosen. . . then vacuum or put a coat hanger in the drain to help loosen. . . so not sure what to do right now... I live out of town from rental - so not sure what is going on. . .
JA: Sometimes plumbing issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Plumber I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Plumber should be aware of?
Customer: not that I can think of. . . bathtub was recently installed and walls were grouted and tiled. . . so probably grout and tile bits did get in the drain. . . we never had problems before. . .
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Plumber about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Eddie replied 9 months ago.

Hi Betty ...........I would first try having your handy man use a Wet Dry Vac and tape a 1 inch flexible tube and see how much of that could be pulled out ........whoever did the remodel should be shot for not covering or stuffing a rag in the drain so this would have never been a problem .......... you have to try and get as much as you can from the top after that a snake and then a power snake would be about the best to do that ..............going very slow and gently with it not to break any pipes........ your plumber a Roto Router service or the likes of........explain to then like you did here so they know what they are up against........with this you will have to plan for the worst and hope for the best ...........I wish you luck

eddie