Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
50715266

I'm ***** ***** My pilot light on my water heater will not

Customer Question

Hello, I'm ***** ***** My pilot light on my water heater will not stay lit
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: its a bradford white model mi40t6fbn When I try to light it there is a flame after pressing the sparker but the status light does not come on when i release the setting button from the pressed position the flame goes out
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Plumbers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Try pressing the reset button on the temp senor on the burner compartment access panel. If it clicks try lighting it again

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is it a little red button? That was the only thing resembling a button but it would not push or click
Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

It has 2 wires connected to it, yes it's usually a red button. If that doesn't work we would use a multi-meter to test the output of the thermopile which is the flame sensor in the pilot flame. Let me know if you have a meter that can read DC millivolts and I'll give you the procedure.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no, my multi meter does not have a millivolt setting
Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

Then the only other option would be to replace the pilot assembly. It used to be fairly easy/inexpensive to just change a thermocouple but the new heaters don't have thermocouples and the pilot assembly is a lot more expensive.