Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
50715266

How can we remove sedimentation/calcification from pipes and

Customer Question

How can we remove sedimentation/calcification from pipes and shower heads? We live in Chicago.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Brad Neighbour replied 9 months ago.

CLR works really good for shower heads. Pour CLR into a bucket. Leave showerhead in for about 10-15 minutes. Should see a big improvement. Which pipes are you referring too?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

The connections between the water supply pipes and sink faucet, and water supply pipes and shower faucet & shower head also have a some sedimentation on it.

I understand. You are talking about the 3/8 supply lines that go to your bathroom fixtures.I would replace the supply lines with the 3/8 flex lines. Easy to install. Are you on a well? Sounds like you have hard water issues? Do you have a water softener?

I would also recommend taking your aerators off the kitchen sink and bathroom sinks and clean them out. You will be surprised how much pressure you actually have when you take the aerators off. Hope this helps you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

We have flex line to the faucet, but can't have a flex line to t he shower head. I am talking aboutfor exampe where the shower head is threaded to the water supply pipe, there is a lot of sedimentation. These buildings are old Chicago buildings, so some of the pipes are old too.

Can you unthread the shower arm and replace it?Or is there sediment in the actual water lines in the wall to the shower?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Yes, I can replace the shower head, but I wanted to know if there was a way to just clean them.

I see. CLR to make the pressure better in the showerhead. For the outside of the showerhead, Warm up vinegar and pour into a bucket and scrub with a toothbrush. Works great.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for the answer. Can you please give me the option to rate you?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for the answer. Can you please give me the option to rate you? Also, how do I use CLR in the pipes and the shower head? Do I remove the pipes ond soak them in CLR or spray..?