Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Experience:  20 years of plumbing experience, including high end homes and service work.
64367226

My kids knocked a glass into the sink and we didn't know

Customer Question

my kids knocked a glass into the sink and we didn't know until we turned on the disposal. We removed the glass but now when I turn the switch it just buzzes. I've hit the reset button to no avail. It seems like it should work. We've checked to make sure it's clear in there but still no action. Just a buzz
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. The issue is that the disposal is jammed. Maybe a piece of glass still stuck in there. Do you have the tool that came with the disposal? It looks like this click here

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

Either use the tool or an allen wrench the same size and in the middle of the very bottom of the disposal is a spot to put the tool or allen wrench. Put the tool in the hole and turn back and forth. This will turn the blades and dislodge whatever is stuck. Once can turn it freely all the way around both ways and remove what was lodged in there the disposal will be restored to full use.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gotcha. No, I don't have it. But, I imagine I can get one at Home Depot.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

If you have an allen wrench set that will work too. It is one of the larger ones although I am not sure what size. Look under the sink in the cabinet. The tool also may be there and you just never noticed. It might be taped to the side of the cabinet or just near the back. Usually it gets left there after installation and may never have been noticed.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful?

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

Without a response from you I am not able to tell if you found the information helpful. Did you find it helpful or is there any other information that I could provide?

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.