Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

Our toilet drain (the center of the wax ring) is just nine

Customer Question

Hi. Our toilet drain (the center of the wax ring) is just nine inches from the edge of the shower sill and we would like to move it away a couple of inches. The use of the offset flange looks straightforward enough but we are on the third floor of a condominium with concrete floors that appear to be just six inches thick. We're not sure if there is a structural element in the floor to be concerned with or not. Do you have an opinion on whether or not it is safe to install the flange in this situation?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Don't know what else might help....
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Plumbers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

"just six inches thick" is actually very thick for a slab. Moving your toilet over wit an offset flange won't pose any safety or structural issues.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

You should use the type of offset flange that's in the attached pic