Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
50715266

My water softener tank is empty but the water is running

Customer Question

My water softener tank is empty but the water is running sometimes very loudly and sounds like it's draining through the washing machine drain. It's a Pentair Autorol 740/760. No error message is on the display.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Tyler Redinger replied 10 months ago.

Hey I would like to help you with your water softener. Do you notice the issue just at random times? I know water softeners have what they call backwash (upflow)mode. When untreated water is washed out to a drain. That could be what your hearing.

Hey how's it going? Is your softener still making that noise? The drain pipe from your softener could drain into the same pipe your washer drains into. Which could sound like your washers draining. But it's actually your water softener doing its cleaning!