Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

Our Ruud tankless hot water heater is giving us a error code

Customer Question

Our Ruud tankless hot water heater is giving us a error code 12, saying something is wrong with the LP gas. We're not sure what this means. When we do get hot water, which is only some of the time, the temperature fluctuates. Any ideas?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

A 12 error is a flame failure error. The only time it's likely to be a gas problem is with a new install (which is why it's suggested in the manual). In an older unit it's much more likely to be an ignition or flame sensing problem. If the unit hasn't been serviced in a while it would be a good idea to have a pro check it out and clean out the combustion chamber.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It seems to work intermittently. Sometimes we get hot water, and other times we get nothing. But when we do get hot, the temperature fluctuates greatly. Is this consistant with a flame sensing problem? Also, certain sinks/showers/bathrooms seem to get hot water and other won't. Is there any possibility that it could be something to do with a plugged pipe/drain somewhere in the line? We've had a similar problem before and was a result of a clog from a toilet not allowing the hot water heater to vent/drain. And also another time when our septic tank was full.I hope this makes sense, sorry I am not better able to articulate the issues. Thanks for your help!
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

No problem. Drainage issues have nothing to do with your water heater. There are a few things that can cause temp fluctuations but they may or may not be related to the 12 error. You really need to have a pro check out and service your heater. The problems will only get worse over time unless you get the heater serviced.