Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

The Moen posi-temp cartridge in my shower began leaking

Customer Question

The Moen posi-temp cartridge in my shower began leaking around the stem. I called a plumber and he replaced the cartridge ($180) all seemed well. I did notice that the new cartridge operated very easily and required little pressure to operate (much less resistance than the posi-temp in my other shower. I about two weeks the shower would not shut off completely. It was dripping water slowly from the shower head. I called the plumber back and he said I must have a bad shower valve and it needed to be replaced (house is in Florida and 9 years old). This would require him to cut into the house from the exterior, thru concrete block and stucco, to replace the valve. It would be a time anmd materials job taking about 4 hours and he couldn't get to it for two weeks. This just doesn't sound right to me. Could he have installed the cartridge improperly? Should I call another plumber? I have done a lot of work with this plumber but am concerned I may be getting played for a sucker.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

While I agree with your plumber's assessment of the condition of the existing shower valve (if it was installed incorrectly it wouldn't have worked OK for 2 weeks), I don't agree with his approach to replace it. We routinely replace shower valve from the shower side using a cover plate (see attached picture). This plate allows for a hole big enough to work through to be cut in the shower wall then the plate covers the hole. The new valve trim covers the center hole. If your guy won't use this approach then I'd suggest you look for another plumber who will.

Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

I have been called away. If you have more questions I'll respond when I return (~1 hour). If you don't have any more questions I'd appreciate a favorable rating.