Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
50715266

I have a E110CN condensing gas boiler which has been acting

Customer Question

I have a E110CN condensing gas boiler which has been acting up for the past three weeks. My plumbe has been here twice and has not been able to find the source of the problem. I called Rinnai and got the names of two certified Rinnai technicians, but my home is too far away for either of them to come out.
Here s my problem: the pressure varies greatly and often...from 04 to 36... More often lower than higher. It often goes below 12 and reads FILL. Sometimes, it will reboot itself, sometimes not. The first two times when it went to FILL and I lost heat and hot water, my plumber came out and added water. The second time he called Rinnai who told him to check the pressure in the tank, which he did but could not find a problem. He showed me how to add water by tapping the lever so I could restart the process without calling him. I have been babysitting the system ever since. I also have learned that I do not need to tap the valve to reboot the system when I lose heat, but can accomplish the same thing by turning up the thermostats. The pressure will then begin to rise and go thru the aerating system.
This morning, when I got up, the pressure was 13. I took a shower and let hot water halfway thru, but it did reboot itself afterwards.
I am going away for ten days at the beginning of February. I am panicking that the system will shut off while I am gone and I will come home to frozen pipes.
Can someone please help me?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

It sounds like you have 2 problems. First your plumber seems to be relying on the air eliminators/vents on the system to get rid of the air in the system. This is not how it's done. The system should be actively purged of air. The air vents are only there to get rid of the small amount of residual air in the system. Also there should be a feed valve (see attached picture for typical) on the water line that supplies the system. This device regulates the water pressure let into the system and will automatically add water to the system should the pressure drop too low. Do you have a feed valve on the system? To be perfectly candid it sounds like you need a new plumber.