Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Experience:  20 years of plumbing experience, including high end homes and service work.
64367226

My shower moen mixing valve does not get the hot water like

Customer Question

My shower moen mixing valve does not get the hot water like it use to and I am taking it apart. What do I need to do to finish the job.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. You may have to replace the cartridge but it may just need to be lubricated. Do you have some plumber's grease? Do you have a Moentrol or Positemp Moen shower?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't see anything to tell me. It has a single lever.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

Do you pull to turn on and left and right for temperature or turn only and further left you turn the hotter?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No pulling I just turn left for hot water.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

Very good. That is a Positemp. It is likely that the problem is that the pressure balance cylinder is sticking and that is why the hot water is not getting as hot. It could simply be the hot water stop needs to be moved. You will need an allen wrench and a screwdriver.....maybe just a screwdriver depending on the type of handle. Remove the handle and the black handle mount and you will find a white plastic piece slid into another one. That piece has a stop on it. pull it out and turn it counter clockwise and replace it. This will move the stop further and allow you to turn the handle further hot. It may help to mark the pieces with a marker before you start so you remember the original position....just in case there is confusion. If this does not work then turn the water off to the house and remove the plastic pieces, sleeve and locking pin slid into the top. Pull the cartridge out and take the cartridge apart by sliding the center of it out and grease with plumber's grease. Do not use any petroleum products like Vasoline or WD-40. It must be silicone based lubricant. Lubricate the outside of the cartridge also before replacing. Be aware that there is an upside down to replacing it. Look on the very front and you will see a little H....this goes to the left when replacing.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful?

Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

Were you able to repair the issue with the information provided?