Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

I just bought a house in Wi. It has 3/4" copper pipe from

Customer Question

I just bought a house in Wi. It has 3/4" copper pipe from pump unit to hot water heater but 1/2" copper coming out. About 8" from the heater it has an enlargement about 6-8" long. What is it and is it necessary to put back when hot water heater is replaced?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

The water piping should be full size (3/4") in and out of the tank then perhaps reduced to 1/2" after the first TEE. I have no idea what this enlargement is and based on your description of the rest of the it's probably an anomaly installed by someone with little or no knowledge of sizing water piping.