Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

I'm a novice working on my bathroom. I'm replaceing

Customer Question

I'm a novice working on my bathroom. I'm replaceing the tile and almost finished with the floor. I'm replacing the toilet. When I cut out the plywood around the flange, the side of the flange got cracks on either side. I can't remember if it was like that when I removed the old toilet or not. Can I repair the crack with glue?I went to HomeDepot and they sold me a flange cover but I don't know if it's the right one or if bolting it to the old flange is correct. I'm going to add a picture. Please advise me on the best practice.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

A picture of your conditions would help. You can post a pic here by clicking on ADD FILES next to the SEND button

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks. I sent pics of flange w crack on side where bolt would go and the extension. The tile is not set in yet. I put some mortar in the space of where I didn't cut subfloor tight enough. Bolts holding original flange are rusty and 3 look like could not be removed.
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

Ok, it looks like you have some flange extenders in your second pic. You need to use as many as it takes to build the flange height up so it above the top of the tile. Be sure you use the sealant that comes with them between each one and also the flange. You must clean all the old wax off the flange or the sealant won't bond. Also you must screw the extenders down to the plywood sub floor using stainless steel screws. One screw on each side of the bolt notch on both sides of the extender

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The extender shown did not come with sealant. It just fits over the original flange and it bolts into the flange. I'll go back and look for the extender you described. I thought that one was the wrong choice. If the sealant doesn't come with the extender. What is it called. I'll go get some today.Please tell me if a metal extender is better than a plastic one, since I have to screw it to the sub floor. I could trim the tile back a little on the sides, if needed, since it's not mortared in yet.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is it ok to mortar over the extender when screwed to sub floor?
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

Not ok to mortar over the extender. You have to build the flange up with multiple extenders (see attached pic) until the top of the built up flange is higher than the top of the tile. There is no other option. They usually come in a package with several and a tube of adhesive caulk. You can also use the wax from a wax seal to seal between the sections. If there's nothing to screw to you can top all the extenders off with a metal repair ring which will have screw holes i a different place