Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

My name is ***** ***** and I have a Whirlpool Model

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** ***** and I have a Whirlpool Model #EE3Z50RD055V water heater with a diagnostic code blinking 5 times to check the lower element. I drained the tank and replaced the lower element and it worked for a few more weeks and now I'm getting the same error code. The directions say to reset the water heater but my controller does not have a reset button just a temperature control and mode control. What next??
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What type of details are you looking for??
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Plumbers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

You reset the unit by cycling the power off (turn the breaker in the electrical panel off) for a minute or so then back on again.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have recycled this off and on via the power button and after replacing the lower element the unit ran for about two weeks before getting the 5 code error message again. Is this a board problem??
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

It sounds like a problem with the board. It's unlikely you'd have another similar problem so soon with a new element. You might want to test the lower element before replacing the board just in case. Turn the power off remove the leads to the element then test for continuity across the 2 terminals (yo should have continuity) and from each terminal (separately) to the bare tank (should not have continuity). If the element checks out then the board is the likely culprit