Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

I get complains of smell from tenants on third and fourth

Customer Question

i get complains of smell from tenants on third and fourth floors .probably from the chimney which adjacent to them . i had i guy who said it needs relining. how can i know that this is the case and if yes i need instructions to do it with my guys. chimney is about 60 ft and 10 inch diameter
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

It's a fairly simple process provided you can work safely on the roof at the chimney. You buy a stainless steel liner of the appropriate length and diameter. It comes with a cone you attach to one end. You secure a nylon rope to the cone then drop the line (with a weight on the end) down the chimney. Your guy in the basement then pulls on the rope while your guy(s) on the roof feed the liner down the chimney. Then you mortar up the chimney are the liner in the basement and install the top/termination kit at the top of the chimney.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
hi rick ,thanks for the reply. my first concern is how to test and to come with the right diagnosis of the problem. ? no complains from tenants at first and second floors who are also adjacened to the chimney.right now the boiler works on gas but once temp. dropps below 20 ,'' national grid'' automaticaly turns off the gas and the burner starts to work on oil [#2].and when temp. goes above 20 it goes back to gas. actually this all started about 2 weeks when in the middle of the night temp. in new york dropped below 20 and the boiler failed to work on oil and some tenants called about smell of
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
smoke and we had to spend long time to start it. this is a 17 units ap. bldg. with dual fuel ,power-flame burner, if i am not wrong the diameter of the chimney is 10'' and from the roof to the basement is + - 65 ft.
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

If tenants away from the boiler room but near the chimney are complaining of the smell of smoke/diesel then a chimney problem is a pretty safe bet. There are no "tests" except perhaps a pressure smoke test but it's unlikely to tell you anything that you don't know already.