qwasert
qwasert, Plumber
Experience:  Journeyman Plumber
7115410

Looking chrome shut off 3/4 inch; double female threaded.

Customer Question

Looking for a chrome shut off 3/4 inch; double female threaded. Also how can we clean the calcification on the shower head?

Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Billy replied 10 months ago.

what region do you live in?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Sorry, Chicago.

Expert:  Billy replied 10 months ago.

Ok all I need now is.....when you turn the valve, is it just 1/4 or 1/2 turn for full flow or is it like opening a water hose valve where it may take 4-6 spins?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Will check and get back to you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

It makes more than one turn. But if you recommend that we can use only the valve with 1/4 or 1/2 turn we would be ok with it if the price is not too significantly high. Thanks

Expert:  qwasert replied 10 months ago.

I will do some research on the valve for you. In the mean time, you can fill a plastic bag with white vinegar, undiluted, and tape or rubber band it to the shower head. Soaking will remove the calcium buildup and should remove easily with a soft bristle brush. Ill get back to you on the valve when I can source one.

Expert:  qwasert replied 10 months ago.

Can you explain the problem you are currently experiencing with the valve? This type of valve is completely serviceable, replacing the washer and packing and a bit of grease to the stem you should be able to get it back to full working condition with smooth operation. If need be there is a tool to re-seat the valve by smoothing the surface where the rubber seal meats the seat.

Expert:  qwasert replied 10 months ago.

Here is a video that shows how to reseat a valve. https://youtu.be/DSsuH19eOS0, the one shown is not the same as yours but the process is identical.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

There is a slow leak from the shower head holes. We thought it mighy be the cartridge. The cartridge is costing $30. Yes, if you can help us with a solution that would be great.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

There is a slow leak from the shower head holes. We thought it mighy be the cartridge. The cartridge is costing $30. Yes, if you can help us with a solution that would be great. We will now soak the shower head in vinegar.

Expert:  qwasert replied 10 months ago.

I have check with my supplier and the only valves I can find are diverter type valves which are a 3 port valve, one inlet and 2 outlet. Here is an example:

http://www.dhgate.com/product/brass-shower-faucet-accessories-tee-adapter/161338288.html These are about $15. If your trying to keep the look and style of your current setup you might try and get the current one rebuilt. I don't believe these valves are still currently in production. Sorry I don't have better news, Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

The link sent to me said the divertor valve costs $250 - $270. I would prefer not to spend so much money.

Expert:  qwasert replied 10 months ago.

Sorry, that is for a lot of 20 of them. They are about $15 each

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I just need one.

Expert:  qwasert replied 10 months ago.

Sorry, I did know that you only wanted to purchase one of them.

Expert:  qwasert replied 10 months ago.

I am not finding anything for the valve replacement. I will continue to look, and I will let you know if I find anything. Did you try the vinegar on the shower head?