Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

Installed new faucet in bath. Old pipies are steel. New

Customer Question

Installed new faucet in bath. Old pipies are steel. New risers and new angle stops. The faucet is a Price Phister single hole single handle an water is delivered by a trough rather than a pipe like nose.
On the hot water side only, there is a sewage odor when you turn on the faucet. Used same set up in 2nd bath - no problem. Any ideas??
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

A sewer or rotten egg type odor when you run a faucet is usually caused by an interaction between the stock magnesium anode in the water heater and a harmless bacteria. It doesn't matter which faucet it comes from since this odor will take the path of least resistance. The fix is to replace the anode with an aluminum/zinc anode.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Why not other bathroom?
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

Like I said before there is no predicting where the odor will show up. It takes the path of least resistance. If you had the odor at every faucet then your would probably be the source of the odor.