Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

I'm getting a strong sewer type odor coming from under

Customer Question

I'm getting a strong sewer type odor coming from under the restroom sink. What could it be and what should I do?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Do you have an AAV (see attached picture, it could be black instead of white) under the sink? do you smell the odor all the time or only when you use the sink?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm not sure if I have that part so I'll send a pic of under the sink. It smells all the time
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

Ok, no AAV. So the most likely culprit is a broken plumbing vent pipe probably in the wall behind the sink if the odor is strongest under the sink. This assumes you have no leak at the wall under the sink

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay. I'll check behind the wall
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

Ok