qwasert
qwasert, Plumber
Experience:  Journeyman Plumber
7115410

I just bought a used 19 Gallon Hot water tank that I want to

Customer Question

I just bought a used 19 Gallon Hot water tank that I want to use in my building with a shower. What cord do I need to get so I can plug this in? Maybe Home Depot has something. Home Depot part number maybe. Also what is the easiest way to get water to the tank. I have a bathroom near by
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  qwasert replied 1 year ago.

Can you provide the make and model number of the water heater. I am sure we can find a suitable connector for you to power it up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
GSW
Model SS20LSEB
Expert:  qwasert replied 1 year ago.

http://www.gswpartsonline.com/model/A2015 the water heater you purchased is a 120 V water heater which can be put on a 20 amp breaker. You will need to pick up some wire nuts a romex connector and an appliance cord. I would recommend connecting to a dedicated 20 amp dedicated breaker. If you are unsure about the wiring it would be advisable to hire a professional. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its a regular plug end like I plug my radio into?
Expert:  qwasert replied 1 year ago.

Yes similar to your radio. you will want at least a 12 gauge cord with ground on dedicated circuit. Be sure to get a UL listed appliance cord w/ground and be sure that the water heater is on a dedicated circuit.

Expert:  qwasert replied 1 year ago.

To further clarify, Im not an election. However, your water heater will work on a 15amp dedicated breaker, it would be 1/2 amp over the maximum of 80% load for that breaker. Therefore, by code you would need a 20 amp circuit to avoid the breaker tripping all the time. A 12 gauge UL Listed appliance cord with ground (3 prong outlet) would work perfectly. Let me know if there is any other questions concerning your water heater. Im here to help.