Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

My name is ***** *****. We just had an overnight spell of

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****. We just had an overnight spell of very cold weather after weeks of temperatures above 50 degrees. When I got up this morning there appears to be no cold water inflow to one toilet and to the kitchen sink, both of which are installed on an outside wall. Hot water seems to be working fine. Any ideas?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sinks in another part of the house on the same floor seem to be working. The water flow to the refrigerator in the kitchen seems to be working. But the sink and toilet have no cold water flow. There is no sign of leakage from a burst pipe anywhere.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Plumbing Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes. I will tell you if there is any change in the situation or if I have to leave before you get to me.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Given your description a frozen pipe is the most likely culprit. The best things to do are: keep the hot and cold faucet open as long as someone is home and awake, get as much heat into the areas where the piping runs and you can use a hair dryer or a heat gun (basically a hair dryer on steroids) on exposed piping. Leaving the faucets open will minimizes the chances that the pipe will break. A plumber with a pipe thawing machine can thaw out your concealed pipes if the piping is copper.