Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

I've been trying to replace the cartridge 1225B in one of

Customer Question

I've been trying to replace the cartridge 1225B in one of the bathrooms. I've seen Youtube videos on all this and all goes well until I try to remove the cartridge. It comes up a little and just won't come out, no matter how hard I try. I've been using a regular pair of pliers. Is there a special Moen tool designed for this situation? Appreciate any advise you can give.
Anthony N.
Arlington, VA
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Yes there's a cartridge puller made for just this purpose. You can get one at any plumbing supply house and maybe even the big box stores

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK, I got the puller and it worked and I've reassembled everything with a new cartridge, but now the water won't shut off. Is this because the new cartridge isn't in deep enough?
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

Probably, are you sure the inside of the valve was clean before you installed the new cartridge? Often neoprene or other residue is left behind causing problems. The only other likely possibility is using the wrong replacement cartridge

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I wiped around the bore before inserting the new cartridge. The old cartridge is a Moen 1225 with brass ears. The new one is also a 1225, but with plastic ears. Neither True Value, Home Depot or Ayers (another hardware store around here had brass ears). The guy at Home Depot said it makes no difference and he seemed to think Home Dept no longer carried the brass type.
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

Could also be a bad cartridge. I never use the plastic ones.

Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

Try a plumbing supply house for a brass cartridge