Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
50715266

I am wanting to install a whole house water filter. My house

Customer Question

Hello, I am wanting to install a whole house water filter. My house is brick on a concrete slab and was built in 1978. I dug down and found the main water line. I scraped it with knife and it seems to be plastic pipe. It runs under the slab beneath the water heater inside. There is a copper line coming out of the wall to feed the water heater. I am assuming the line tees up to the water heater and continues on under the slab. I am thinking if I move the water heater and cut into the wall, I won't be able to access the main line but I don't know standard plumbing practices so I would really appreciate any help. I want the filter on the inside but really need a filter outside installation wouldn't be out of the question. Thanks
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

There is no standard practice when it comes to how water mains are run. It sounds like you best bet would be to see what's in the wall behind the water heater. It sounds like that's where the main enters your house based on your description.